“I LIKE TO CALL MYSELF THE NINA ‘AMBASSADOR’, BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN THAT IT WORKS.”
Jan Bos, manager operations VBMS
“In Nigeria, many people have generators in their bedrooms. That is extremely dangerous, because the exhaust gases contain carbon monoxide. If the exhaust gases cannot escape (due to a lack of ventilation), this can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning. People get surprised in their sleep by this ‘invisible murderer’.
Unfortunately, these types of accidents happen very frequently. Now you might be thinking: what does this have to do with NINA? Everything, as I see it. NINA actually made people talk about safety. This made them conscious of risks that they did not previously know or recognise. The result: they started putting the generators outside.
NINA even has an influence outside your work: people take it home with them. I’d like everyone to gain this awareness. When you have achieved that, you can take pride in your work, I find. That is why I like to call myself the NINA ‘ambassador’: I’ve seen that it works. I am working to communicate this within VBMS.”